Supplementary class materials
“Zoom and Megapixels: A Buyer's Guide to Digital Cameras”
This web page provides additional information and resources for students of my class offered through the Arlington Adult Education program. In class, we covered the features to look for. Now you can do the research to decide which camera is the right one for you!
Photo tips from camera manufacturers
Loads of tips to help you take great pictures.
More photo tips and camera reviews
In addition to these resources, be sure to check out the photo magazines at your local newstand.
- Digital Camera reviews & specs
- Microsoft — Take great pictures
- Microsoft — Digital treasure chest
- National Geographic
- Web Photo School
- Digital Photography Review
- Digital Camera Resource Page
- Imaging Resource
- Walter Mossberg / Wall Street Journal
Free photo editing/management software
Photo editing programs make it easy to fix problems such as red eye, underexposure, overexposure, etc., as well as to use special effects to enhance your photos. Photo management software makes it easy to organize your pictures into albums or slide shows. Many of these programs will do both.
- The GIMP — free, open-source alternative to PhotoShop
- Grokking the GIMP— a users guide you can buy or read on-line for free
- Google Picasa2
- HP Image Zone Express
- Kodak EasyShare
- Microsoft Photo Story 3 — create a slide show, with audio, from your pix
- B/Works — Black-and-white effects
- Photo-Freeware.net — links to many programs, such as to stitch together panoramas
- ExifTool — free (command-line) program for editing the EXIF tags accompanying an image file
- Quick EXIF Editor — free program for editing EXIF tags
- The following are web-based photo editors — no need to install any software on your computer. Accordingly, they should work equally well on MacOS and Linux systems as well as Windows. Some are fairly sophisticated, while others just do minor photo tweaking.
- Sumo Paint
Books about digital cameras
- Digital Photography: The Missing Manual
by Chris Grover & Barbara Brundage
published by Pogue Press/O'Reilly, 2006, ISBN 0-596-00841-4
- Find more books about digital cameras
Once you've got your new camera, be sure to check Arlington Adult Education for classes on digital photography.